The Women’s College opened with four students in March 1892, eleven years after the Senate of the University of Sydney had resolved to admit women on an equal basis to men. Unlike many of their contemporaries overseas (including the women of Oxford and Cambridge) who were allowed to study but not granted degrees, Australian women would graduate with the same qualifications as men.
The College’s first home was a rented house in Glebe. It moved to its own building within the University grounds in May 1894. Designed by the architectural firm of Sulman & Power, the College’s first permanent home still forms the heart of the present building complex and is heritage listed.
The College now accommodates 250 women undergraduates and 30 postgraduates.